Re: "Fake" USB mouse

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 05:28, Tom Badran wrote:
> I have a usb mouse that works nicely on my thinkpad. However, as it is a
> laptop i dont always have it plugged in. If i start X (4.2.1) with the mouse
> plugged in, it works fine, and i can unplug it and plug it in again and all
> works perfectly. However if X is started without the mouse plugged in, when i
> plug the mouse in it doesnt work.
>
> Is there some way i can make X think the mouse is there when it isnt? Or some
> command i can add to the hotplug scripts to tell X to check the mice again?

I was struggling with the same issue on my laptop as well, and the
solution is rather simple as long as you don't mind a small bit of
kernel bloat. Very small bit. :) Just make sure that you have UHCI or
OHCI either compiled into the kernel, or loaded as a module BEFORE X
starts up. X will still find the USB mouse device and enable support for
it, even though the physical device isn't actually plugged in. All of
the other necessary modules, like HID, don't need to be loaded until you
actually plug in the device which hotplug should do for you.

-Alex