Unicode on console

Hi,

does anyone out there run unicode on console? It's pretty easy to get
the console (i.e. the non-X terminal) to display unicode but I cannot
find anything about how to enter non-standard characters via my
keyboard. That is I'm currently testing a switch to unicode to get rid
of all that hassle with iso-8859-15 for the Euro symbol ¤ which works
fin in vim but not in bash with unicode. Also I cannot enter the german
umlauts on my console anymore, to be precise I can enter them in vim but
only if I also hit another key. In bash nothing works.

Needless to say that all works well under X.

Michael

P.S.: Please CC me on replies.
--
Michael Meskes