Re: GPS shopping tips?

Michael Jinks said:
> Hi all.
>
> As a motorcycle enthusiast, I've got an itch for a GPS unit that will
> mount on my handlebars and save me from ever trying to fold a road map
> again.  Not to mention my propensity for getting lost.

I use a Magellan GPS companion. its a springboard
module for a visor. works well. no advanced features(route plotting and
shit). totally computer independant, the only think you need a computer
for is to upload the maps(which are in raw .prc/.pdb format) which
can be uploaded using any ol palm synch software. it comes with
mapping and navigation software, and maps for pretty much everywhere
I think. I also use a 3rd party app Mapopolis which can communicate
with the GPS module as well(gotta love standards). it's very small
and since it doesn't depend on the PC for anything other then the
maps your not missing out on anything.

its cheap too. I use it on both my visor deluxe and my visor
prism. visors are cheap too if you don't have one(my former manager
picked one up on ebay for something like $20?). Or refurb is about
$90 I think. GPS module is around $110(new). though it may be
discontinued now. ever since handspring announced they would stop
making PDAs springboard developers have been jumping ship sadly.

nate
(i have about 10 springboard modules including barcode reader,
modem, wireless modem, remote control, backup modules etc ..)