Re: GPS shopping tips?

Michael Jinks <mjinks@uchicago.edu> writes:

> I'd hate to buy a spiffy new GPS unit only to find that I've just
> paid for a bunch of features that I'll only be able to use if I set
> up a Winders box.

What exactly do you want to do with the GPS unit?  Currently, Linux
applications are limited to transfering simple route, track or
waypoint info, or doing map display on a connected laptop.  That
would be a bit difficult to use on a motorcycle, but I hear some
people have done it.

So basically, if you insist on doing everything from Linux, your GPS
will be crippled and you'd might as well buy the cheapest you can
find.  You might consider a mapping unit, but you'll be paying a lot
for something where you'll only be able to use the base map (not very
detailed) since there are no Linux apps which can upload maps.

I bought a Garmin GPS V, because I wanted a hand-held unit I could
also mount to a bicycle or use in the car to get turn-by-turn
autorouting.  It's very good and the maps are detailed, but the
software only runs under windows.  Since I'm willing to accept that
for now, I have a far more functional solution than is available on
Linux (or will be in the next year or so).

NEVER repeat the words of a barbarian. That is what they live for.