Re: Ext3 and Reiserfs

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 19:53, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:53:08AM +0300, Chavdar Videff wrote:
>
> > Is there any problem giving it a go with debian and format all with
> > ext 3.
>
> I don't have experience with ReiserFS, but have been using ext3 for
> quite a while now, on all my systems.  I haven't had a single file
> system problem that I could in anyway attribute to ext3.
>
> --
> Jamin W. Collins

After the third power outage in a week, due to a car taking out a hydro
pole a block up the street, I got tired of extended *relaxations* while
my 24 GiB ext2 /home partition was checked, and saw how easy it is to
convert to an ext3 partition. I didn't take the jump, however, until I
mounted my *spare* drive - a 2.4 GiB from my old box that I'd set up to
use with BSD during some networking problems. BSD didn't work out
(wasn't Debian yet ;), so I'd reformatted it as Reiser. Shall we say
"Dang, that is SO NICE!" when the journalling was applied in a fraction
of a second?

I don't know enough of the details of the two to be able to say "Use
this rather than that", other than if you are already on ext2 and don't
have backup media large enough to backup and restore entirely the
partition concerned, ext3 is essentially "too easy" to implement (other
than you do need to remember to remount any converted partitions.)
Reiser reportedly has particular strengths with small files - while ext2
can store a small file in the same sector as its directory entry, Reiser
permits several files in a sector if they fit, and appears to be under
structural development based on algorithmic research, but ext2/3 aren't
static either. Reiser is also *supposed* to be better equipped at
handling larger directories.

My suggestion? Thank the fact that Linux supports various filesystems
concurrently. If you have new partitions, try each to see whether one or
the other is noticably better for you. If you have existing ext2
partitions, ext3 is probably the preferred route if you wish to switch
to a journalling filesystem. There is also IBM's JFS, but to be honest,
many don't seem to include it in the list. JFS is supported by both AIX
and OS/2.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org