Re: Ughh. What happened to /bin/echo?

"Colin Watson" <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:31:58PM -0600, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> > It appears that /bin/echo is gone. In stable it was contained in
> > shellutils and shellutils was replaced by coreutils, which doesn't
> > include /bin/echo.
>
> Hm?
>
>   $ dlocate /bin/echo
>   coreutils: /bin/echo
>   $ dpkg -l coreutils | grep ^ii
>   ii  coreutils      4.5.1-2        The GNU core utilities
>
> > Something similar seems to have happened to /bin/cat and /usr/bin/tr
> > in what was textutils under stable. Anything on this?
>
> Ditto. Something's gone badly wrong with your coreutils installation.
> Perhaps you reinstalled old versions of fileutils/shellutils/textutils
> over it or something?

I don't know what the heck happened!? I didn't see anything go wrong
when I did the apt-get dist-upgrade this morning, but perhaps I missed
it because of the license-agreement spew from the java installation?
Anyway, after I read this I downloaded the coreutils*.deb package
manually and installed it via "dpkg -i" everything seems to be back to
normal now.

Thanks,
Gary