Calendars

I need a good calendar.  Evolution is OK, but all I want is a calendar,
amd I want it to be speedy.  Gnomecal is my current chice but I can't
figure out how to add holidays and other events that aren't
appointments.  I also like the command line interface to gnomecal that
allows me to query the calendar very quickly.  But it doesn't work from
cron.
The old unix calendar program offers me what I need from cron but it is
too hard to get information from when looking for free time to schedule
an appointment.
What is the popular choice out there?

--
  Michael Montagne  [montagne@boora.com]   503.226.1575