Re: DEFAULT WINDOW MANAGER

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 06:28, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 05:18:53PM +1000, Nick Hastings wrote:
> > > I have tried including "exec /usr/bin/wmaker" in ~/.xinitrc ,
>   hmmm not sure if the .xinitrc is called by default from the
>   .xsession.... try to call the .xinitrc from your .xsession...
>   (i had to put this in by hand... but on the other side i didn't read
>    very far the debian docu about their adaption of X :D)
> > update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
> yup that should do the thing....
> you can also try to use kdm or gdm, they offer a chooser for your
> sessions, and you aren't obligated to use those useless memory hogs they
> are designed for. (i use gdm to start a gnomeless minimalistic sawfish
>     session...)
>
> > This will let you set the default wm for your machine. Or just for you,
> > try putting "exec wmaker" in ~/.xsession or ~/.Xclients
> uhm what's the 'exec' for?? wmaker is surely allready executable, isn't
> it? what's the puropose of adding an exec? at least mine works without
> that....
>

> --
> ciao bboett
> bboett@adlp.org
> http://inforezo.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett

Using 'exec' puts the called process (wmaker) in place of the calling
process, rather than leaving a shell around waiting for a return value
only to exit immediately after, this saves a bit of memory and overhead.
It also *technically* (by my understanding) transfers any applications
started to run as *backgrounded* tasks in the .xinitrc or .xsession to
be sub-tasks of the window manager instead, although much of the fine
details there are dependent on the particulars of the shell in use.
Theoretically, by not using exec, on a buggy or strange shell, tasks
could linger around after the exit of a window manager.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org