Re: DEFAULT WINDOW MANAGER

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 12:28, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 05:18:53PM +1000, Nick Hastings wrote:
> > > I have tried including "exec /usr/bin/wmaker" in ~/.xinitrc ,
>   hmmm not sure if the .xinitrc is called by default from the
>   .xsession.... try to call the .xinitrc from your .xsession...

See 'man startx'. It basically says that .xinitrc is only used by xinit
(which is called by startx but not from xdm, gdm etc.).

"Note that  in  the Debian system, what many people traditionally
 put in the .xinitrc file should go  in  .xsession  instead"

> > This will let you set the default wm for your machine. Or just for you,
> > try putting "exec wmaker" in ~/.xsession or ~/.Xclients
> uhm what's the 'exec' for?? wmaker is surely allready executable, isn't
> it? what's the puropose of adding an exec? at least mine works without
> that....

exec is a Shell builtin command. 'man sh' says:

exec [-cl] [-a name] [command [arguments]]
        If  command  is  specified, it replaces the shell.  No new
        process is created.

So, .xinitrc resp. .xsession is executed by sh and hence you have a shell
process running which is unused but uses some of your memory. If you run
"exec x-window-manager" in these files the shell gets replaced by the
window manager process which is going to be a bit more efficient
(resource-wise).

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X