From: paul [mailto:paul.miller@rogers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 October 2002 1:47 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ifup, dhcp troubleshooting

if i boot with my old kernel, a 2.4.18bf2.4, everything works properly, so
the configuation and client are sound.  when i boot with my custom compiled
kernel nothings happens, no error messages.  if i try 'ifconfig -a' the
adapter is shown, but without an IP.  I checked the dhclient & interfaces
man pages.  Here's my syslog entries with eth0:

sis900.c: v1.08.02 11/30/2001
PCI: Assigned IRQ 3 for device 00:03.0
eth0: Realtek RTL8201 PHY tansceiver found at address 1 as default
eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xd800, IRQ 3, 00:08:98:ed:46:4e

the only suspect line is:
ds: no socket drivers loaded!

i'll look into ds man page.

p.