Re: Xfree 4.2?

%% Charles Blair <c-blair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> writes:

  cb> I have been told that my laptop won't do graphics without version
  cb> 4.2 of xfree.  I tried downloading some files in a directory
  cb> "branden" with names like xfreecommonv14.2.deb and also a
  cb> v24.2.deb.

???  No idea what those are.

  cb> Could somebody supply idiot-proof instruction on getting
  cb> 4.2 going?

XFree86 4.2.1 was accepted into Debian unstable just yesterday (6 Oct).

So, you should do this:

 1) Add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
  deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

 2) Read Chapter 3 of the APT Howto:

     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

    Esp. section 3.7, if you want to install XFree86 4.2.1 but don't
    want all of your system to be unstable.  Note you will need to move
    a lot of your system to at least "testing" before you can pull in
    XFree86 4.2.1 I expect.

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools