Problem with kernel-pcmcia-modules and/or kernel packages?

Greetings,

I was just going to report this one as a bug, but I'm not sure which package is in fact causing the problem. I found a few older postings by people who'd had similar problems, but it seemed that the maintainers of each package blamed the maintainers of the *other* package, so I thought I'd post and see 1) if other people had seen this problem before, 2) if anyone knew which package was causing it (and where I should direct the bug report), and 3) if anyone who'd had this problem had been able to solve it. I'm stumped.

Here's what happened:

1) Upgraded my old 486/75 thinkpad to woody. No problems there.

2) Installed kernel-image-2.4.18-386 (2.4.18-5), and rebooted with the new kernel. No problem.

3) Installed the corresponding kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-386 (2.4.18-5)

3) Installed pcmcia-cs (3.1.33-6)

4) Started pcmcia services.

5) Ugliness ensues, along with these error messages:

/lib/modules/2.4.18-386/pcmcia/i82365.o: unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_R9991be23
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.4.18-386/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted

I've never mucked about with the kernel pcmcia images, so I'm not sure exactly what's happening here. One posting suggested changing the reference to i82365.o in /etc/default/pcmcia to yenta_socket.o, but this didn't seem to have any effect.

Ordinarily I'd just build myself a new kernel and standalone pcmcia modules and be done with it. Unfortunately, I can't do that here: I'm using an ancient laptop with no CD, no kernel source on the hard drive, no compiler tools, and a pcmcia network card. There don't seem to be any pre-built pcmcia-modules packages that match the kernel I'm using. Fun, eh?

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

john