Re: persistent windows in gnome+sawfish?

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 21:52, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> Is there a way to make certain windows persistent across the
> Workspaces in sawfish+gnome? I'd like my xbiff windows to stick around
> on all my workspaces. These are remote xbiffs and so the only way I
> can start them is by logging in to the remote systems via ssh and
> starting xbiff, thus, I can't use one of the Gnome applets.

There are actually a lot of ways you can make a window 'sticky'. It
depends on how you configured sawfish, though.

Usually, a W-Button2-Click inside a window brings up the window menu.
`W' being a special modifier key which represents either Meta, Alt,
Hyper or one of the other X modifier keys (depends on how you configured
sawfish, default is Meta if I remember correctly). Button2 is the middle
mouse button.

Depending on the theme you're using (and on how you configured sawfish
of course) pressing Button3 (right mouse button) on the "close window"
button on the taskbar, or pressing Button1 (left mouse button) on the
"window menu" button brings up the window menu.

Having said that, you may use the window menu to enable workspace
stickyness. <window-menu>->Toggle->Sticky.

You may of course also have a key bound to make a window sticky (Sawfish
configurator->Bindings: Context = Window)?

"Matched Windows" is a more general tool which allows you to set a broad
range of other options too.

Just fire up the sawfish configurator, section Matched Windows.

Click on the Add button, choose e.g. "Class" from one of the drop down
lists in the upper area, click on the "Grab" button and click somewhere
into a xbiff window. Of course, you may also type a regular expression
manually into the text field right beside of the drop down list. The
entry should now be "^Xbiff/xbiff$" without the double quotes. Then
choose the "State" tab and enable the sticky attribute.

As you mention that there are probably different xbiff windows running
on different machines, you may also match on the "Host" property of a
window e.g. in order to give each xbiff window another look.

Please note, that these settings only apply to windows that getting
mapped after applying the settings - not on windows that are already
running.

> I see the "Persistent group ids" entry in sawfish->miscellaneous, but
> simply putting "xbiff" in doesn't seem to work, and I can't find any
> documentation explaining exactly what "Persistent group ids" is. The
> sawfish info manual under the "Workspaces" node says:
>
>         "What do I want to say here?"

Well, this list just specifies what group ids exist in a persistent way.
;-) It is definitely not what you're looking for. These are just group
*identifiers* which exist also if there are no application running that
are part of such a group.

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux advocate                     - against HTML email  X