Re: Repartioning NTFS

On Monday 07 October 2002 01:17 am, Andy Saxena wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:47:36AM -0700, Michael Richardson wrote:
> > What I'm trying to do is setup a duel-boot system that will be running my
> > current OS (Windows XP) and Debian Woody. My problem is that my hard disk
> > is a NTFS file system and the FIPS program they say to use in the install
> > manual doesn't say anything about repartioning anything but FAT file
> > systems. If anyone knows of a free disk partioner that will allow me to
> > make another partition without destroying the files already on my system
> > I would greatly appreciate a responce.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > MICHAEL
>
> I'd suspect there's no such free software in the Linux world that will
> repartition or resize NTFS partitions. If there were, it'd imply an
> ability to write to NTFS partitions, which is not available as of this
> moment.

from my experience, andy's got it right. even the latest linux kernels offer
ntfs readibility only as dubious experimental code. keep in mind that the
significant data on any filesystem can be retained in a variety of formats.
before you trash what you've got, save any data you created in as generic a
format as your apps enable, separate from, and additional to any backup
options offered by win-whatever. essentially, export your data in a generic
format to a zip disk or any other media you have available that is capable of
importing straight text data. linux will read anything saved as straight text.

assuming that you have the installation disks necessary to re-install
win-whatever, you should only need to make sure that your win reinstallation
doesn't hog all of your hd resources. i.e. you should actively resrict its
access to your hd resources to the absolute minimum required. then boot the
system to read your debian boot cd's or floppy's. linux won't let you
overwrite your win-whatever partition without making you aware of it.

the main thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't do anything until you
feel reasonably assured that you're doing the right thing. if you're the only
user on the system, jump in, be brave, but save unreproducible data. on this
list, you're in good company. if others depend on the system you're working
with, take the time to consider the implications to them of what you want to
do.

bottom line is save unreproducible data. as long as you do that, you can't go
wrong.

btw, welcome to freedom.

ben