Re: More stuff in dmesg - I would like to supress but am not sure how

    "Paul" == Paul Lewis <paul.lewis@karachi.freeuk.com> writes:

    Paul> In my start up logs I get a whole load of stuff for
    Paul> equipment I am pretty sure I do not have installed. The
    Paul> following extracts are an example.

Which kernel are you using? The standard install kernels like idepci
etc. do include drivers for a lot of "common" hardware. The drivers
will start and look for the devices they can drive. They will print
informative (or not, you decide :-) messages as they look for these
devices. These messages are very useful when installing on a new
computer, when things don't work, etc.

I use the plain 2.4.18 kernel in Woody (*not* the -bf2.4, the k7
variant, you pick the one for your architecture), and it does not do
this. On the other hand, I do have to set up /etc/modules to load the
modules my hardware needs.

Cheers!
Shyamal