Re: NIC IRQ conflict

* Mike Dresser (mdresser_l@windsormachine.com) wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Cam Ellison wrote:
> > Is there a way I can force irq assignment on bootup?
>
> Change the IRQ settings in the bios.

I have tried that, using different assignments.  All I get is one NIC
up, supposedly on the LAN, but there is in fact no traffic possible
(can't ping anything).  So I went back to the auto settings, but put
explicit driver assignments in /etc/modules.conf (via modutils) for
eth0 and eth1.  Finally got something working.

My next magical trick is to get one card and the built-in NIC working
together.  I'm not going to hold my breath.  Strange -- the USB ports,
sound, and the NIC, all share IRQ 5.

The manual states that PCI cards in the shared slots should be capable
of sharing IRQs.  I'm not sure that applies to my NICs -- can't find
the manual just at the moment.  However, I'm deliberately not using
PCI1.

Now, if I can just get the graphics drivers to work... :-/

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
From Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast