Re: NIC IRQ conflict

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Cam Ellison wrote:

> I have installed a new MB & CPU  (ASUS A7N266-VM & Athlon XP1600), and
> among the problems is that both my NICs are assigned irq 5  (they used
> to be at 10 and 12 on the old board).  Consequently I have no network.
>
> The /etc/interfaces man page makes no mention of irq assignments,
> though ifconfig certainly allows for that.  I cannot dynamically
> re-assign the irq (tried that: SIOCSIFMAP: operation not supported).
>
> Is there a way I can force irq assignment on bootup?

Change the IRQ settings in the bios.

Move a card to a different slot.

Most modern motherboards tend to have everything shared with everything
built in.

Looking at the motherboard, you're going to have trouble with "move a card
to a different slot" due to the MicroATX

Trying to download the manual gets me nowhere, as the download link is
broken.  A minute later manually ftp'ing the file, and I'm looking now.

This is odd.  It shouldnt' be sharing the irq's by default.  Each PCI slot
gets its own IRQ according to the manual(and ASUS manuals are usually
pretty good).  Do you have the model with the onboard LAN?  If so, move
your other network card to a different slot.

Under advanced settings in your bios, you can find the PCI Configuration,
set each of these to something unique.

Hope some of this helps

Mike