Re: repairing a ntfs partition with fdisk ?

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 05:58:14PM +1000, Matthias Szupryczynski wrote:

> Is there any way of repairing the ntfs partition using fdisk or another
> tool under linux ??
>
> Fortunatly I can still mount the partition to rescue the important
> files, but it is still bad. One would think that the rescue disks should
> be able to deal with that kind of problem, after all, that is what they
> are there for.
>
> Cheers and thanks for listening (and hopefully helping)
>
> Matt

It's a late reply, but here's a thought:

If you can mount the partition, but not boot from it, it may be that the
corruption is to the boot sector in the Win2K partition. I think the
Win2K bootable CD has a rescue option using the command line. There you
should be able to do FIXBOOT or something similar to repair the damage.

-Andy