Re: Performance needed for an Internet gateway

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 06:09:10PM +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 the mental interface of
> Balazs Javor told:
>
> > NAT / port forwarding
> > packet filtering

This can be done quite easily with iptables.

> > bandwidth management / trafic shaping

You'll probably want to check out this site:
  http://lartc.org/

in particular:
  http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

> > some sort of secure access for my laptop through wireless network

IPSEC or PPTP work well for this sort of thing.

> > I was wondering what sort of processing power is needed for such a
> > computer?
>
> You can also set up an at least
> 200MHz box with ipchains and ipmasq.

I doubt the OP would need anything remotely near a 200Mhz system.  I've
done all of the above (with the single exception of traffic shaping) on
a 486SX25 with a mere 16 Megs of RAM.  The system is running Debian
woody with a 2.4.18 kernel.  It provides an iptables based firewall
along with PPTP and IPSEC VPN access along with SSH connectivity for
remote administration.

--
Jamin W. Collins