Re: Performance needed for an Internet gateway

On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 the mental interface of
Balazs Javor told:

> Hi,
>
> I have an ADSL Internet access and I'm planning to set up
> some sort of firewall/gateway for my home network.
> Here's what I roughly have in mind:
> NAT / port forwarding
> packet filtering
> bandwidth management / trafic shaping
> some sort of secure access for my laptop through wireless network
>
> I was wondering what sort of processing power is needed for such a
> computer?
>
> I'm asking this because whatever solution I chose, I want it to be
> silent as I already have a lot of noise comming from the other PCs.
> So what I try to decide is whether to use some commercially available
> hardware firewall like the ZyXEL ZyWALL10, or maybe an old second hand
> laptop running Debian.

SMC-Baricade works well for me. No probs with hacking or anything
else (did I noticed everything?). You can also set up an at least
200MHz box with ipchains and ipmasq. Those boxes don't need a fan
for cooling thr cpu ;-).

HTH

--
  Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge,
  not the fountainheads ;-)