Re: Unidentified subject!

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 02:03:03PM +0100, waterboy waterbody wrote:
> Hello,
> >
> >    i began to install GNU/debian linux and now i,m configuring my
> >computer. I have some problems with escputil package for install my
> >printer epson stylus color 880. The synopsis i write isn´t admitted by my
> >computer. i don´t understand it. If you could say me the way of i have to
> >use the escputil package with an example or with my printer, i would be so
> >much grateful to you.
> >
> >                                            Oliver

Hi Oliver,

The escputil package is not used to install a printer. "escputil" is a
command line utility to perform various maintenance tasks on Epson
Stylus inkjet printers.  These tasks include head alignment, head
cleaning, nozzle check, printer identification, and retrieval of ink
level from the printer.

Some maintenance can be done as a normal user; for example, printing
nozzle test pattern. To do this, just enter, "escputil -n" at your
xterm or console command-line prompt. However, you need to be root or
a member of the lp group to use escputil when the command requires
access to a raw device like querying ink levels or aligning the print
heads. Here is an example of checking ink levels of my Epson
Stylus Color 860, which is attached to /dev/lp0:

# escputil -r /dev/lp0 -i
Escputil version 4.2.2-pre2, Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Robert Krawitz
Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

           Ink color    Percent remaining
               Black     91
                Cyan     33
             Magenta     32
              Yellow     41

See "man escputil" or "escputil --help" for more details.

If you are still trying to configure your printer, you need to use the
cupsys package and not escputil. Look at my response to your message
on 28 Sep, for details on how that is done.

--
Jerome