Re: VIA KT8266A + VIA VT8233A w/ AC97 sound

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 11:04 am, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> * D. Nathan Cookson <dorzak@earthlink.net> [02-10-2002 07:20]:
> > 1 - Does anybody know from definitive experience the status of support
> > for the Via VT8233A southbridge in Debian kernels?
>
> Compile a 2.4.19 kernel of your own. I had to do it bacause of a new
> motherboard, was scared, but can recommend it. The reference manual,
> chapter 7, has all the details. Getting .config right might be
> tricky, so if you need more help on that, ask.

I am quite puzzled why a lot of people seem to think they need to compile
their own kernels rather than use the debian standard ones.  Debian kernels
have nearly everything compiled as a module - so provided you get the modules
loaded everything works - and you don't need to keep rebooting either

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk