Re: Building distributions based upon Debian

On Friday 04 October 2002 2:41 pm, jurgen.defurne@philips.com wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I know LFS, but that is not the purpose.
>
> The purpose is to start from standard debian packages, but
> create smaller indexes, ie. not taking all packages.
>
> E.g. A small end-user WS could only take some graphical
> packages, and games, and some productivity apps, and
> that is all, maybe a patched version of the stock kernel
> with the low-latency and preemptive patch.

What is wrong with just the first (and second) CD only of woody.

I know you don't need all 7 - I just made isos of all 7 and blew them on to
CDs.  Then went and install my system and only used the first CD (of course I
am now loading new packages from the net - particularly since I then
dist-upgraded to unstable.

If you really insist on doing it, apt-move is quite useful to build a local
mirror. dpkp-scanpackages is the program you need to make the packages file
from such a mirror (you can either download an override file via ftp from
debian, or - as is your case, you might want to think about writing from
scratch and organising your smaller set of debs into different sections).

I guess (though not tried it) that the debian-cd package could be your friend.
apt-build might also be useful (again not tried it)

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk