Re: crc error

eric mc said:
> Hello all,
> 1.can onyone tell me what a 'crc error' means exactly ??
> Have this error time to times and all I have todo is reboot the system.
> 2.An fsck results in a '......is this a zero lenght partition ....'
> and/or  '.......Null pointer......' can't ... what ?
> 'run e2fsck -b 8193 <device>' but he can't do that (on a unmounted
> partition )

means the system is doing validity checks on the data it is processing
and some of that data is failing the tests. Ususally a CRC failure is
not fatal, the data is just processed again and hopefully it passes.

The only time I have had this on a linux system that I can remember is
on my Promise ATA/66 and ATA/100 cards using long(24") IDE cables,
the system would spew out CRC errors during high I/O. Never caused
any noticable problems but I still replaced the cables with 18" because
I am paranoid like that and haven't seen the problems since.

as for your fsck problem I would reccomend booting from a rescue
disk and trying to repair the disk, your venturing into areas
of system recovery that I usually do not even attempt, if I see
a zero length partition error I usually just reformat & restore from
backups, trying to recover such data can get very very complex,
and I've never had data that was so important that I could just
recover from a backup(nor has any company I have worked for).

nate