Re: [OT] Faulty hard drive?

Alex Polite said:

> dev 03:04 (hda), sector 2792604 Oct  3 13:27:31 matijek kernel: hda:

> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=5523654, sector=2792604

> Is this an indication that my hard drive is physically damaged and that I
> can expect another crash unless I replace it with a new drive?

If it were me I would replace the drive, though chances are it's just
one bad sector. note the 2 errors above, they both note the exact same
sector, unless there was a bunch of other sectors(I noticed those
2 errors about 15 seconds apart from your log), the IDE drive may have
been able to re-map the bad sector which is why the badblocks check
didn't show anything.

most drive manufacturers have software available to do low level diagnostics
on the drives, visit the website of whoever makes your disk and check.

I would probably still replace it though. or at least delegate it to
duties that would have it store data which didn't matter if you lost
due to a crash.

nate