Re: On Learning Debian

On Thursday 03 October 2002 04:56 am, Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> > I added USB to my 2.4.18 kernel not long ago to support an unsupported
> > web cam.  When I say unsupported, I mean really unsupported by the
> > manufacture! They don't even support M$ users.  A fellow M$ user gave it
> > to me when he couldn't get it to work on his box.  shrug, it worked for
> > me here   :)
>
> May I pop in this thread? - Jaye, was this USB2.0?
>
> I'm very intersested for the near future in getting a debian system on a
> USB mashine without any
> PS/2 devices and I have no idea if Woody would install on this?
>
> Robert

Greetings Robert:

Good question.  Also, I know next to
nothing about USB, the only reason I made it work now is to see if that silly
cam would operate with mfd support under Linux. :)  The box is about 1 year
old now.  I picked up the cheap motherboard and AMD-1800xp online.  The
chipset is via.  Here is lspci -vvv:

00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 1b) (prog-if 00
[UHCI])
        Subsystem: Unknown device 0925:1234
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

You would have to ask others on the list about pure usb during installs.
Seems to me I have read several stories about non-ps2 installs using a
specific boot kernel.  The keyboard I use today is about 8 years old and I
don't know what I would do if I had to replace it!

- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!