Re: pls help or i will switch to other distro

John Joe wrote:

i install woody but X and sound do not work.
i have used Debian 1.2/2.0/2.1/2.2, but never have
these problems.

i use Trident 9680 video card/SB 16 sound card(ISA).
could you send me XF86Config-4 and related .config of
kernel for sound setting?
Deal with one problem at a time. You might want to break this thread into two separate threads, and title them less generically, something like "Can't get X working with Trident 9680" and "Need help configuring ISA SoundBlaster 16".

Run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common" and/or "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to see if you can get a working configuration for X.

Better yet, post the error messages that "startx" generates. It may be something simple like your mouse is set to the wrong port (which can be fixed by running one of those two commands above - I forget which; or by manually editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4).

ISA stuff can be a bear to set up. Start by posting the output of "dmesg".