Re: pls help or i will switch to other distro

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 21:52, John Joe wrote:
> i install woody but X and sound do not work.
> i have used Debian 1.2/2.0/2.1/2.2, but never have
> these problems.
>
> Woody's default kernel is 2.2, but X 4.0 don't work,
> so i upgrade kernel to 2.4.18. still it don't work.
>
> i use Trident 9680 video card/SB 16 sound card(ISA).
> could you send me XF86Config-4 and related .config of
> kernel for sound setting?

First of all, referring to the subject line: why should anybody
on this list care if you switch to another distro ? I certainly do
not, and it almost sounds like a threat ... not very nice.

Just a thought ;)

To your problem:

Please post the error messages that are generated when you
try to start X or when you try to play sound files.

Without that information, it might be kind of hard to specify
your problem.

Furthermore, check if your kernel supports your soundcard.

And regarding your request for config files: especially configuration
files for X are very hardware dependent, using one not designed for your
system can easily crash your system or even damage your monitor.

So check out the man-pages for XF86Config-4, try to relate the
information found within to your system and come back when things still
don't work.

HTH

Matt