Re: What are these groups for?

Michael Heironimus wrote:

That wouldn't do what you want. Only root has permission to reboot/halt
the machine (for obvious reasons). I suppose that if you really wanted
to do that you could make halt setuid root and make it only executable
by owner and group, but I really wouldn't recommend that (I avoid making
anything setuid for security reasons). If you use GDM or KDM for your X
logins, those can be configured to allow reboot/shutdown from the
console without a root login.
Actually if root would allow a certain user to reboot a mshine - it
wouldn't be that bad.
To my understanding any user may shutdown  h i s  client, that may be
the reason why kdm comes with this feature.

This wouldn't help in my case though - I'll rather stick to xdm and
fvwm2 - even for the future.

Robert