Re: apt-get has turned against me

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 11:00:48PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> First thing I'd try is to manually install one of the .debs with dpkg,
> like so:
>    dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/[some .deb file in this directory]
>
> You did do an "apt-get update" first, right?
>
> Do you have broadband access? If so, install from a mirror instead of
> from a CD.
>
> There's also a couple of dpkg-related files that you can rename (to
> virtually "delete" them) that can make a big difference in cases like
> this. From teh archives at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200203/msg03322.html:
>
> >>Your debconf database is broken in some exciting way. Backing up and
> >>moving aside /var/cache/debconf/config.dat and
> >>/var/cache/debconf/templates.dat may help

Please reserve that advice for the specific case I was responding to,
i.e. debconf stuff returning exit status 10 (due to allegedly missing
templates which aren't actually missing) - it's useless here. It was
directed at the specific error message you posted, not a random "you
might try this and it might help". :)

no-debsig in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg should be the solution in this case. See
also the changelog entry for dpkg 1.9.1.

Cheers,