Re: chip on guard antivirus warning on lilo

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:43:19PM -0700, nate wrote:
> are you sure there is no virus? maybe there is one. if not contact
> trend technical support for an update. or change virus scanners,
> I highly reccomend Sophos antivirus though they do not sell directly
> to consumers last I checked.

Last I checked, there aren't any linux boot viruses, and by the nature
of Linux (and any other nixish OS, for that matter), it's not likely
to happen unless logging in as root and running untrusted code early
and often becomes vogue.

BIOS virus scanning has always occured to me as a bad idea, giving a
false sense of security.  Who wants to flash a BIOS every few days to
update a boot virus scanner?  What madman would think anybody would
actually go out and flash a BIOS every few days?

Say no to madness, just disable it.

--
Baloo