Re: Kde or gnome

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 04:24 pm, Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> I played with gnome 1.4 and kde2, I really couldn't see much difference.
> I only have a 800x600 display and only a 233mhz pentium, so perhaps this
> could help me choose.
>
> Is one better suited to this spec than the other ?
>
> Matthew Joyce

Greetings:

I was going to reply to your prior post, but I read the rest of the thread
first.  Anyway, with the limited speed of your box, you might want to try
both of them, but it is *very* likely you will like something like Blackbox,
Fluxbox, or IceWM.  These last three will reduce the sluggishness of your
computer in graphical mode.  I am really pleased with both IceWM and Blackbox
myself.  So much so that I have IceWM default on both this box and my laptop.

I really like Kde as well.  It has a lot of features (aka bloat) that I
enjoy.  I kind of shun away from Gnome, but that is just silly seizure-like
moments of flashbacks to my installs of Red Hat 6.2-7.3  :)

Now also know that you can add any of these as your "default" GUI if you use
Gdm or Kdm (these both come with Gnome/Kde).  In my case, after I start x, I
see IceWM.  From Ice, I can start any other GUI.  Debian makes it very easy
to choose these on the fly.

Bottom line:  If you have the room on the harddisk, then install them all!
Try them all out, then remove any of them that you don't like.

hth

gl

- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!