Re: kernel drivers and initrd

csj said:
> I'm playing around with the "bootcd" package's initrd
> option. And I can't seem to get it to work. There's
> always some complaint about the root file system not
> being recognized. I suspect the problem is with some
> kernel drivers that I compiled as modules when they
> shouldn't.
>
> Does anybody have a definitive list, a checklist
> perhaps, of kernel drivers that shouldn't be compiled
> as modules, when using (or even when using) the wonders
> of initrd? linux/Documentation/Configure.help is
> conservatively obsolete on this matter.

not having used initrd much myself yet, I cannot imagine any
drivers compiled into the kernel would have any problems
with initrd. from what I understand, initrd is sort of like
a mini filesystem which is mounted to access modules and stuff.

The worst thing that could happen I think is duplications, maybe
2 copies of the driver, 1 module and 1 in the kernel, that won't
cause any harm though when/if the module tries to load it the
kernel should ignore it since the driver is already active in
the static kernel.

you will need at least the controller driver for your disk controller
as well as the filesystem driver for the filesystem that your initrd
image is on for it to work I believe, that should be it, I
personally prefer static kernels, the only modules I use on any
system are Nvidia, Vmware, and alsa(usually on laptops).

nate