kernel drivers and initrd

I'm playing around with the "bootcd" package's initrd
option. And I can't seem to get it to work. There's
always some complaint about the root file system not
being recognized. I suspect the problem is with some
kernel drivers that I compiled as modules when they
shouldn't.

Does anybody have a definitive list, a checklist
perhaps, of kernel drivers that shouldn't be compiled
as modules, when using (or even when using) the wonders
of initrd? linux/Documentation/Configure.help is
conservatively obsolete on this matter.

--
Humanity's future is in the stars:
support a manned mission to Mars!