OT: Perhaps Linux will set the hardware standards?

This is very off-topic, but I just had a thought that I felt strongly enough to share.

Right now, hardware manufacturers, like video card makers, make their hardware so that each has different interfaces (APIs, etc) that must be dealt with in drivers, and often that information is kept proprietary, which makes it difficult for XFree86 developers (and company) to get things working for every little card out there.

As Linux gains dominance on the desktop (notice I didn't say "if", but implied "when"), is it out of line to think that perhaps the XFree86 developers could set the API standards instead of the hardware manufacturers doing so?

In other words, perhaps some day the developers can say "Here's the interface specs; make your hardware work with it if you want to sell your cards."

Pipe dream? Fantasy? Stupid innovation-stifling idea? Good idea? What?

Kent