vsftpd problems

I installed vsftpd but am unable to connect to my machine using ftp.  I
believe my inetd.conf file is correct; it has the line;
ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/vsftpd

When I try to ftp to my machine (or from my machine to my machine) I get
the connection refused message.  I tried to 'telnet 20' in order to see
if my machine was listening at port 20 (the ftp-data port), but got the
message:
(I am not sure if this is a correct way to test to see if my machine is
listening on port 20, but it is all I could think of).
I've checked /var/log and I see no log entries about ftp failures.

Any suggestions?  Or should I give up on vsftpd and try something else;
I only need a very simple ftp server.  Thanks,

Ric