Re: OT: mass installation on XBox

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 05:40, martin f krafft wrote:
> hi there,
>
> we would like to set up about 100 Microsoft X-Boxes in a cluster
> configuration running Debian. I have heard that they work with Debian
> GNU/Linux and thus we are quite happily willing to take on the
> challenge of making them all behave as one big computer.
>
> We are currently investigating how to do the mass installation. FAI is
> one way, but the more we think about it, the more we'd just like to
> make them thin clients actually.
>
> So now I am wondering - is there any way you can make the X-Box boot
> from the network, or from a custom CDR? or, as a last resort, from
> a USB floppy drive?
>
> thanks for any tips and pointers.

I think you have to buy special (read: expensive) USB keyboards
and mice for the Xbox.

Do you already have the 100 Xboxen?  Those $199 Wal-Mart specials
look pretty interesting, but that's still $20,000 for 100 of them...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, |
|  other than that they trained in these camps?"             |
|   17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 |
|   men arrested near Buffalo NY                             |