Re: damn gdm2 greeter - can't login :(((

on Wed, Oct 02, 2002, Roman Joost (romanjoost@gmx.de) wrote:
> I don't know what i did wrong, but i can't login no more. Not with a user
> account and not with root. If i login the xsession-error file tells me nothing,
> 	because there no errors.
>
> Anyone the same problem and know what i can do to fix it? I looked in
> /var/log/auth.log and can't find an error.
> A hint where to look for error will be appreciated.

Immediately after a login failure, switch to a VT and take a peek at the
end of /var/log/syslog.

Do you have an error from PAM regarding pam_limits.so?

If you do, then you can temporarily circumvent the problem by editing
/etc/pam.d/gdm and commenting out the line that mentions pam_limits.so.

gdm should now let you login.

* WARNING *

I do NOT know how much this compromises the security of your system. I'm
no PAM expert.

Can someone with PAM-fu help us out here?

Do I need to file bugs against PAM (specifically, libpam-modules which owns the pam_limits.so) or the
packages? I've seen this problem on gdm and ssh, and the above procedure
fixed it on both. Note that this is only happening on my
unstable/experimental box, The Woody box is fine.

Regards,

Peter.