Problems with simplest network !!!

Hi,

  Have two i386 computers running Debian.  Computer A has two network
cards: eth0 (XXX.XXX.X.X) and eth1 (192.168.0.1).
eth0 is connected to the internet and eth1 is supposed to connect to
an internal network (192.168.0.0).  The netmask for both is 255.255.255.0.
eth0 works absolutely perfect!

  Now, I have a laptop (computer B) with a pcmcia card eth0 (192.168.0.2)
with netmask 255.255.255.0.

  Computer A is connected to computer B and ...  nothing!  I can't get the
connection! Basically, the internal network is not working!  What's going on?

 Clues:

   a) In computer A /etc/network/interfaces was edited with:

    auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0

    auto eth0
       something for eth0 which is working!

   b) In computer B, I edited /etc/pcmcia/network.opt with something like:

 default,*,*,*)
    # Transceiver selection, for some cards -- see 'man ifport'
    IF_PORT="auto"
    # Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address
    IPADDR="192.168.0.2"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    NETWORK="192.168.0.0"

   c) ifconfig says cards are up with the correct addresses.  The network
      cards are recognised internally, for example in computer A
      a ping to 192.168.0.1 works and in computer B the same but for
      192.168.0.2

  Any ideas on this?

Sergio.