Re: dist-upgrade problem with conflicting packages coreutils and shellutils

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:52:06 +0200, Gerhard Gaussling <ggrubbish@web.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. September 2002 05:35 schrieb Faheem Mitha:
>> though. What does apt-get -u upgrade
>> currently say?
>
> Hello Faheem,
>
> Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I'd already overwritten
> the 'coreutils-packages' of sarge (shellutils and textutils) with
> their newest versions. That means that I had installed coreutils
> sometimes before I did apt-get dist-upgrade (I think due to
> dependencies of a SID package I needed).
>
> Now I got coreutils in the apt database, but the utilities are
> overwritten by the sarge packages.

Oh, I see. In this case there is probably nothing wrong with your apt
configuration (seem my recent message), but you do need to be careful
about dependencies if installing stuff from unstable. It is frequently
(in fact often) possible to recompile stuff on sarge using source
packages from unstable, and this is what you should do if apt tries to
change your base packages when pulling something from unstable.

                                                 Faheem.