Re: authentication problem (PAM?)

This one time, at band camp, Alex Malinovich said:
> I'm not sure if this is really the culprit, but all fingers seem to
> point this way. I just did an update (using experimental, yes I know
> this is to be expected :) and now my GDM logins are broken. I keep
> getting a Authentication Error when I try to log in with any user.
> /etc/pam.d/login and /etc/pam.d/passwd were changed during the update,
> but I've tried rolling back the changes with no success. Any
> suggestions on what to start checking? (I know this is sparse on
> details but I don't know where to find any more details. Any pointers
> are appreciated.)
>
> -Alex

It sounds like you installed the pam from experimental as well.  You
don't need it, so dump it.  Download the pam modules from your regular
distribution (sid, I'm guessing), and install with dpkg -i (maybe
--force-downgrade as well).  There is a bunch of pam stuff in
experimental, and from the talk on -devel, it's not so stable.

HTH,
Steve
--
Put no trust in cryptic comments.