authentication problem (PAM?)

I'm not sure if this is really the culprit, but all fingers seem to
point this way. I just did an update (using experimental, yes I know
this is to be expected :) and now my GDM logins are broken. I keep
getting a Authentication Error when I try to log in with any user.
/etc/pam.d/login and /etc/pam.d/passwd were changed during the update,
but I've tried rolling back the changes with no success. Any suggestions
on what to start checking? (I know this is sparse on details but I don't
know where to find any more details. Any pointers are appreciated.)

-Alex