A (little) bit OT: The Gimp & LaTeX (Or putting it all together)

I manipulate my high quality jpg photos (camera 4.1 megapixel i.e. images 2272x1704 pixels) with Linux & the Gimp and print them with the Gimp itself after having put two pictures on an A4 glossy high quality paper. Now this procedure is time-consuming and I'm would like to use the LaTeX for this same purpose.
For instance, I have tried the following:
after manipulating a couple of jpg images I've saved them as PS images and then loaded them into a LaTeX program where, by means of textpos, graphicx packages and \parbox I've put them on a single A4 paper.

Now my technical questions:

Is there any loss of image quality in doing so (I didn't even try to print one image owing to the high cost of glossy paper!!) with respect to a Gimp printing?

AND/OR

Is there any linux package able to put any number of photos on a single A4 page?

Thanks in advance
Vittorio

Invia una cartolina ad un amico!
http://cartoline.supereva.it/index.html