Re: booting off of reluctant cd

on Sun, Sep 29, 2002, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> i've got an old box that's just begging to become a firewall
> but i can't get it to boot from cd -- it says it finds the cd
> rom, says it's trying to boot from it, and then checks for a
> diskette, then falls back to the hard drive.

You've done the obvious:  checked the BIOS boot order?

*Any* CD, or just the one you need to boot from?

Can you swap the drive with another box temporaniously?

> the hard drive already has debian/lilo on it; surely there's an
> incantation where i can tell it during the boot-up process to
> use /dev/cdrom instead of /dev/hda, isn't there?

> according to 'man lilo.conf' i may be able to enter
>
> 	linux boot=/dev/cdrom
>
> or maybe
>
> 	linux boot=/dev/hdc

Should work, if there's a bootable filesystem on /dev/cdrom.  If you've
got a cloop compressed loopback filesystem (e.g.:  KNOPPIX, LNX-BBC),
you've got other problems.

> (if the cdrom is the master on the secondary bus) right? would
> that leave anything fuxnored? or is the voodoo elsewhere?

2M == /dev/hdc, yes.

What is the CD?  I suspect it's a Debian install disk, no?

Peace.

   The golden rule of technical design:  complexity is the enemy.