Linux-native ROM?

Here's a quick question, perhaps someone would know the answer.

Suppose I wanted to make a computer that was completely and automatically native to Linux, such that it automatically booted
into Linux, nice and quickly.  What would the best way of doing
this be?

A Linux-native EPROM?  A Linux-native boot card?  Or something
else?  And do such solutions already exist?  Or is it better to
stick with the software boot?

The reason that I ask is that I have been thinking about building
a very cheap Linux computer for newbies, that is, something that they can't destroy too easily, but with very limited hardware (ie no floppy, no network card initially). Once they get experienced, they could then sub out / in the rom, boot card, or whatever, and take over full responsibility for their computer, or just change the preferred boot method from "boot card" to "Hard disk" and install their own kernel, but meanwhile, the damage they could do would be limited. Further, if they did mess up the system, a network reboot and reinstallation might be faster and cheaper than taking the computer apart.

Does anyone know about such an option as this, already in existence?

  - Michael

P.S. :  For those who don't automatically hit reply, please note my
followup-to address:  dscpubl@picusnet.com