Kernel 2.4 filesystem corruption

Hi,
I was installing debian (pre woody cds) on a server of mine with some pretty old drives (SAMSUNG SHD-3212A (APOLLO-4) AD 407MB and QUANTUM LPS270A 250MB).  It works fine with the 2.20 kernel but when I try to boot from cd with the bf24 flavor it just gives me some messages about hda, interrupt lost and hda: drive not ready for command and doesnt go any farther.

I thought maybe it was a problem with that specific kernel and downloaded and installed the 2.4.19 image once I had my 2.20 system up.  Well bad idea.  I rebooted and it gave me whole shitload of Read errors and stuff.  So I rebooted with 2.20 and now it tells me the filesystem is corrupt.  Fsck gives a whole shitload of errors which it fixes.  But when I reboot it wont even load grub anymore (error 2).  So I reinstalled.

I dont really need 2.4 but its strange that it screws over my hard drives so badly.  Anyone know why? Or have suggestions on how to get it working?

Thanks,
Leo