Problems building 2.4.19 kernel from source

I installed the binary kernel 2.4.18-k7 successfully on my Duron box.
Next i downloaded the source for 2.4.19 from www.kernel.org.
I copied the .config from /boot/config-2.4.18-k7 and did a make menuconfig and
just accepted all of the defaults because my box seems to be going ok.
Then make dep followed by make bzImage, then make modules.
That last step took quite some time and at the end there was a line 'Nothing
to be done for modules'
	make modules-install gave the message
	*** no rule to make target
I find this puzzling because 'M' options abound in the .config file

Pointers anyone?