Re: ext2 ext3 ?

On Sunday 29 September 2002 8:48 am, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Gerard Robin (robin.jag@free.fr) [020929 00:44]:
> > but how can I change from ext2 to ext3 without breaking my actual
> > installation and how to do this ?
>
> tune2fs -j /dev/hda1
>
> (for example.)

Be careful - you need the filesystem driver for the root filesystem loaded
when you start up.  If your filesystem isn't built into the kernel, but is
loaded as a module then it won't work.

You have two choices.

a) The Debian way - creates an initrd image with the required module loaded
during startup.  This image is loaded into a ram disk (as the initial root
device), the module needed for the actual root filesystem is loaded from this
ram disk and then there is a slieght of hand which changes the root disk.

The package initrd-tools includes the command mkinitrd which creates one for
you.

b) Build your own kernel with the filesystem type that is root compiled in.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk