caveats with rp-pppoe and kernel 2.4.18?

I recently successfully custom compiled a 2.4.18 kernel and the only
problem I am having is with rp-pppoe... all services are compiled into
the kernel, I have no modules at all.  I can manipulate eth0 and eth1
(only eth0 is relevant here) but i cannot use rp-pppoe to connect to
the internet.  I note that there is a new issue with 2.4.18 and
rp-pppoe in their install docs, has anyone been using this combination?
 Anything I need to know specific to Debian, as rp-pppoe seems to be
targeted at RedHat?  Any tips appreciated.

Shawn