Re: Debian 3.0r0 installation Problems

#include <hallo.h>
* Daniel Fabian [Sat, Sep 28 2002, 10:46:47AM]:

> I'm trying to install debian on an IPC laptop (you probably won't know IPC,
> as it's a small Austrian company assembling lapdogs) after I finally

Chip hardware, potentialy broken BIOS implementations with workarounds
in Windows drivers.

> downloaded the first 4 iso images (woody 3.0r0). However unfortunatly, I
> don't seem to get very far. I boot from the first cd and choose to boot
> bf24. It says "loading bf24.bin....", then 2 thirds of the screen become
> gray with a dotted line about in the middle. Then everything that was gray
> turns blue and that was it. Nothing more is happening.

Broken VGA-Bios, typical for cheap Sony/Gericom/IPC/NoName-Notebooks.
Read the boot-screens to disable the framebuffer.

> Is this a common problem? I don't really know what to do. I also tried to
> boot the 2.2 kernel, but I get exactly the same result. Does anyone have any
> ideas?

There is no 2.2 kernel, there are three, and at least one should work
(eg. vanilla without framebuffer).

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--